Sports Law Blog
All things legal relating
to the sports world...
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
 
The $500,000 Diet Seems to Work: Glen "Big Baby" Davis shows up to camp in shape

Last month, I blogged about Celtics forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis' new two-year, $5 million contract with the Celtics and the contract's inclusion of an annual bonus of $500,000 if Davis can avoid getting too heavy, which in the past has been a major problem for him.

Davis showed up to Celtics' training camp yesterday and it appears that he's in very good shape. Here's Rich Levine of Comcast Sportsnet:
We all have a good time making fun of Big Baby’s weight, but the truth is that it was a serious problem. Sure, he might be one of those naturally big-boned kind of guys, but he also loves to eat, and while the Celtics never voiced this publicly, the potential of Davis eventually eating himself out of the league was something that most definitely crossed their mind.

With this new deal, Davis will earn an additional $500K a year if he meets certain weight clauses, and from the looks of him Monday, Baby’s well on his way to scoring an extra half mil in the bank account.

I know this is hard to believe, but he looks cut. Yeah, there’s still a little of that Big Baby fat lingering around, but the weight loss is significant, and easily apparent.

“I’ve been working hard, man,” Davis said. “I picked up mixed martial arts; jujitsu, wrestling, boxing…. And it’s not only working out. I changed my diet a lot."
It appears that financial incentives--at least very, very lucrative ones--really can encourage people to eat better and exercise etc.

Interestingly, Davis isn't the only Celtic with weight issues, as Jeff Clark of Celtics Blog reports that the team signed former New York Knick and Chicago Bull forward Mike Sweetney to a non-guaranteed contract. Sweetney, who was a phenomenal player at Georgetown University and the ninth overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, has been out of the game for the last couple of years due to weight problems.





12 Comments:

I could see these types of contract clauses making their way into the NFL for D tackles and into MLB for players like Pablo Sandoval. Do you see a trend starting off of this?

Also, could a contract give a player an incentive to, say, increase their 40 time?

Anonymous Joe Defatte -- 9/30/2009 10:56 AM  


Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comment. I think these clauses make a good deal of sense for players who would otherwise struggle with weight. It is interesting, though, to see how teams actually measure weight -- given that some players could put on muscle in lieu of fat, with a corresponding increase in pounds, maybe pounds isn't a perfect metric. But I imagine it's the best proxy available.

I could see a team give an incentive clause for increase of one's 40 time, or some other measurable talent (and maybe this already happens). And it seems like there could be an opportunity for interesting research on these kinds of clauses and whether the standard player contracts in leagues could in anyway limit their scope.

Blogger Michael McCann -- 9/30/2009 10:11 PM  


Teams could use a BMI test instead of a strict pounds test. I think that would be a better test than the alternative.

It's very, very hard to improve a 40 time by anything substantial so I doubt this will ever be a contractual clause.

Blogger Pbenn001 -- 9/30/2009 11:11 PM  


Mike, you and Joe missed something: Why would you want to "increase" your 40 time (meaning you are slowing down)??? I'm guessing, but I think you mean you want to DECREASE your 40 time (i.e. go faster)!!!

Anonymous Anonymous -- 10/02/2009 6:33 AM  


I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it :) I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Please visit my Please visit my blog when you have time Please come visit my site atrial fibrillation treatment when you got time.

Anonymous treatment atrial fibrillation -- 10/02/2009 10:23 AM  


I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog.
Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often :)
Please visit my site crohn disease when you got time.

Anonymous chrohns disease -- 10/02/2009 10:24 AM  


You can be friends with me. Please come visit my site Cleveland Business Directory when you got time. Thanks.

Blogger poll -- 10/03/2009 1:52 AM  


Nice blog design. This seems like it would be a very interesting blog to keep up with. Please come visit my site Cincinnati Business Directory when you got time.

Blogger poll -- 10/03/2009 1:53 AM  


I usually don’t leave comments!!! Trust me! But I liked your blog…especially this post! Would you mind terribly if I put up a backlink from my site to your site? Please come visit my site Columbus Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

Blogger poll -- 10/07/2009 11:43 PM  


I enjoyed reading your work! GREAT post! I looked around for this… but I found you! Anyway, would you mind if I threw up a backlink from my site? Please come visit my site Columbus Business Directory when you got time.

Blogger poll -- 10/07/2009 11:44 PM  


launching my own blog, however i’m not great with designs but i do like the style of your site so it would be excellent if i could find (or buy) something with a similar look as my last designer cannot finish my site. Thanks! Please come visit my site Detroit Web Link when you got time.

Blogger rr8004 -- 10/18/2009 12:09 AM  


launching my own blog, however i’m not great with designs but i do like the style of your site so it would be excellent if i could find (or buy) something with a similar look as my last designer cannot finish my site. Thanks! Please come visit my site Business Trade Guide of Detroit Michigan MI when you got time.

Blogger rr8004 -- 10/18/2009 12:10 AM  


Post a Comment