Sports Law Blog
All things legal relating
to the sports world...
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
 
Congress Considers the StarCaps Case

A Congressional hearing was held today regarding whether to amend the Labor Management Relations Act in order to protect professional sports leagues' performance enhancing drug policies from being attacked under state law. The hearing was held in response to the 8th Circuit's recent decision in Williams v. NFL (i.e., the "StarCaps" case), and featured testimony from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, and Michael Weiner, the MLBPA's general counsel. Sports Law Blog's Gabe Feldman is quoted in the New York Times' report on the hearing. Meanwhile, Paul Secunda, a professor at the Marquette University Law School, has posted some thoughts regarding the hearing and the Williams case over at PrawfsBlawg.

For more on the Williams case, see Gabe's prior posts on the litigation, as well as the thoughts of Willamette law professor Jeffrey Standen at the Sports Law Professor Blog.





4 Comments:

the laws should be clearer in those cases and bigger punishments are require for these kind of actions

Anonymous NFL picks -- 11/04/2009 10:17 AM  


Thanks for the update on this. I agree with Goodell here. Legal arguments aside, it just doesn't seem right for state law to trump a CBA in this case. On the other hand, if you look at his resume, I can see why the judge might have wanted to help out the Vikings but, of course, spinning it in "legal" terms. https://www.hcba.org/District-Court/Larson-Gary.htm

Anonymous Anonymous -- 11/04/2009 12:56 PM  


I usually don’t leave comments!!! Trust me! But I liked your blog…especially this post! Would you mind terribly if I put up a backlink from my site to your site? Please come visit my site Indianapolis Business Search Engine when you got time.

Blogger rr8004 -- 11/29/2009 12:11 AM  


I usually don’t leave comments!!! Trust me! But I liked your blog…especially this post! Would you mind terribly if I put up a backlink from my site to your site? Please come visit my site Indianapolis Web Link when you got time.

Blogger rr8004 -- 11/29/2009 12:11 AM  


Post a Comment