Sports Law Blog
All things legal relating
to the sports world...
Thursday, March 25, 2010
2010 Scholarly Conference on College Sport at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
I look forward to being a panelist at the 2010 Scholarly Conference on College Sport at UNC Chapel Hill. It will be a three-day event held from April 21 to 23 and is being hosted by the College Sport Research Institute and the UNC Exercise and Sport Science Department. This student-run conference features a one-day Issues in College Sport Symposium followed by two full days of academic research presentations by sport management faculty from across the nation. This annual conference is the creation of UNC Professor Richard Southall, the founder and director of the College Sports Research Institute.
I'll be on the NBA age limit panel and will be joined by Maryland basketball coach Gary Williams, Darryl Dawkins--the first player who jumped from high school to the NBA (drafted in the first round, 5th overall, in the 1975 NBA Draft by the 76ers out of Maynard Evans High School in Florida), ESPN's Doug Gottlieb, and Shane Lyons of the ACC. I'm looking forward to it.
Here are some details on the program:
Ethics of Elimination: Will Broad-Based Athletic Departments Survive
* Mr. Jeff Bourne -- Athletic Director, James Madison University
* Mr. Mike Moyer -- Executive Director, Wrestling Coaches Association
* Ms. Amy Perko -- Executive Director, Knight Commission
* Dr. John Cheslock -- Professor, Penn State University
* Mr. David Akinniyi -- Defensive End, NC State University
One and Done: What is the Effect of the NBA's Age Limit Rule on the College Game?
* Mr. Gary Williams -- Men's basketball coach, University of Maryland
* Mr. Doug Gottlieb -- College basketball analyst, ESPN
* Mr. Michael McCann -- Professor, Vermont Law School
* Mr. Shane Lyons -- Associate Commissioner Compliance, Atlantic Coast Conference
* Mr. Darryl Dawkins -- Former NBA player
Thou Shalt Not Tweet: Athletes' Social Networking Legal Rights vs. Institutional Control
* Ms. Kathleen Hessert -- President, Sports Media Challenge
* Mr. Lester Munson -- Legal Analyst, ESPN
* Mr. Steve Kirschner -- Associate athletics director for athletic communications, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
* Mr. Marvin Austin -- Defensive Tackle, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
* Mr. Ronnie Ramos -- Director of New Media Strategies, NCAA
* David Williams -- Vice Chancellor for University Affairs and Athletics, Vanderbilt University
* Bernadette McGlade -- Commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
* Michael Oriard -- Professor, Oregon State University
* Anson Dorrance -- Women's soccer coach, University of North Carolina
Bridging the Gap
* Craig Thompson -- Commissioner, Mountain West Conference
For information on registering, click here. For information on media, contact conference co-director Jack Daly.