Sports Law Blog
All things legal relating
to the sports world...
Sunday, December 05, 2010
Bowl Battle for Sports Law Blog

The Golden Panthers of FIU, Sun Belt Conference champions, will play the University of Toledo Rockets in the Little Caesars Bowl in Detroit on December 26. As you know, I teach at FIU; my co-editor, Geoff Rapp, teaches at Toledo.

Is another food wager in the offing? May I propose stone crabs and key lime pie as the food of South Florida.


The food of Toledo: when your best case is kielbasa and sauerkraut, perhaps a food wager is not a win-win for an FIU person.

Blogger Ken Houghton -- 12/06/2010 11:16 AM  

Wow. To think that Howard would even root for the athletic department at all is shocking.

Anonymous Anonymous -- 12/06/2010 12:32 PM  

Definitely some hot dogs from Tony Packo's

Anonymous Anonymous -- 12/06/2010 1:55 PM  

The last time this friendly wager was scheduled, I lost. Hence, Tony Packo's famous Hungarian hot dogs have already been delivered. As a result, my options for additional quisine would be a bit more limited. Lake Erie perch? It could turn out to be Asian Carp. Michigan cherries? (we sit on the border of Ohio and Michigan). Out of season.

As an alternative, can I suggest that the loser be forced to sing the fight song of the winning school to a student audience, with the rendition posted to the Sports Law Blog?


Blogger Geoffrey Rapp -- 12/06/2010 2:35 PM  

Go Rockets--recapture the glory days from 1969-71 when the team went 35-0, the second longest Division 1-A winning streak in history, and was ranked #12 in the 1970 final AP poll and #14 in the 1971 final AP poll!!! In addition to Geoffrey, UT Law's sports law lineage includes Phil Closius, Ed Edmonds, and myself.

Anonymous Matt Mitten -- 12/06/2010 10:50 PM  

Thanks for the mention, Matt. I am a proud 1978 graduate of the law school. After thinking of Tony Packo's as mentioned above, I decided to seek some help regarding Toledo foods. I asked Rick Goheen, my friend and former colleague at St. Thomas and the current law library director at Toledo. One suggestions was Mancy's Steakhouse, although that might only be really good at its Phillips Avenue address in the Glass City. Two other suggestions were Red Wells Famous Roast Beef in Maumee and Gino's pizza.

Blogger Ed Edmonds -- 12/13/2010 10:58 AM  

Gino's Pizza is a Chicago place (and probably only the third best place for Chicago-style pizza, IMHO).

I would settle for roast beef in the event of an FIU victory. Or I am perfectly happy to have more Packo's brats, sausage, pickles, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not even know the FIU fight song, much less to learn another one.

Blogger Howard Wasserman -- 12/13/2010 2:19 PM  

To check for any relationship between the Gino's in Toledo and the one in Chicago I checked the respective websites. The original Gino's in Toledo actually opened before Gino's East in Chicago in a White Hut Hamburg building. When I was a student at the law school in Toledo, I was really fond a pizza place not far from where I lived across the street from the campus. Alas, as time has gone on I have forgotten the name of the place. All that said, every town has a local favorite pizza place. Tony Packo's food, on the other hand, is pretty distinct.

Blogger Ed Edmonds -- 12/13/2010 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment