Sports Law Blog
All things legal relating
to the sports world...
Friday, August 31, 2012
 
Why Lance will be just fine

Last week, just after Lance Armstrong announced that he would not contest the USADA proceedings, I did a radio interview in which the interviewer relayed the comments of a marketing expert who suggested that Armstrong was done as spokesman, fundraiser, and endorser. I disagreed, saying (consistent with similar arguments made elsewhere) that Lance would benefit from not participating in the proceeding; he would argue that the proceedings were biased and illegitimate, that he was the wronged party and justified in not participating (and thus giving USADA legitimacy), and that he remains a clean champion cyclist.

Case in point: Armstrong's speech yesterday to the World Cancer Congress, which he began as follows: "My name is Lance Armstrong. I am a cancer survivor . . .  I'm a father of five. And yes, I won the Tour de France seven times." Combined with reports that Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation saw a dramatic uptick in donations last week, it looks like, at least in the short term, my instinct was right--Armstrong is going to come through this just fine.





2 Comments:

I thought the same thing. Too few people care whether or not players dope or not. Not saying he did though. If anything people have totally backed him no matter what.

Anonymous Kevin W. -- 9/04/2012 9:21 PM  


I also agree that Armstrong and his Livestrong foundation will not suffer a dramatic hit. Most folks (myself included) don't really care if Armstrong was a "clean" champion. We view Armstrong as a guy who was knocked flat on his back by life, fought back against cancer, and then went out and won the Tour de France seven times. With reports that most cyclists at this time were involved in some type of doping, the storyline doesn't really change because he still beat all the other dopers who didn't have to overcome cancer just to live --- let alone ride. His run is the only time I can remember average sports fans being excited about cycling, and most of us would struggle to even name another cyclist (clean, champion, or otherwise). Would his successes be sweater if he had been clean? Yes. Does the likelihood that he was doping completely ruin the inspiration? In my opinion, no. Also, as long as Livestrong continues to produce good products (stylish and functional) and supports the good cause of helping those impacted by cancer, I believe the organization will continue to be successful.

Anonymous Holley Hutchison -- 9/24/2012 10:45 PM  


Post a Comment